Zipping (and unzipping) files is among the most common ways of storing and transferring large files. But the practice does not come without its limitations.
Let’s first examine some of the disadvantages of zipping and unzipping files before exploring a fresh alternative.
As convenient as it is to simply zip a file for storage or transfer and later unzip it for use, there are some things of which to be leery, including:
● Variance in compression — Many graphic files, such as GIFs, JPEGs and MP3 audio files, often compress to a version that is actually larger than the original.
● Length of time required — Depending on your computer’s speed and the size of the original file, zipping can take anywhere from several minutes to an hour.
● Email restrictions — Many email servers block zip files as they have been traced to the source of many viruses. Emailing a zip file typically requires renaming the file.
● Password error — The security of zipping files is also its own demise. If you lose or forget your password, you run the risk of permanently losing your file.
● Memory shortage — Your computer requires memory to decompress a file, and you may be unable to unzip a file if there is not sufficient memory available to do so.
Unzipping an alternative
An alternative to zipping files is file-sharing software. Citrix ShareFile accomplishes the goal of instantly sending large files in a secure fashion without the drawbacks that come when you zip and unzip files.
With ShareFile, files are uploaded to a secure cloud server with unlimited storage. Sharing the information simply requires just sending an email, and all transactions are tracked in detail. You can even revert to a previous version of the file after any changes are made.
Discover an easier, safer, faster and more effective way to transfer large files of information by signing up for a free 30-day trial with ShareFile.