Trying to share files online but don't know where to begin? Online file sharing has become a must for individuals who regularly share documents with colleagues and clients. Unfortunately, not all file sharing providers are the same, and many drop the ball when it comes to some of business's biggest challenges: security, reliability and data management.
Citrix ShareFile is an online file-sharing solution designed to meet these challenges. By signing up for a free no obligation 30-day trial, you can begin sharing files online immediately. Ready to get started?
First, follow this link to sign up for your free trial. Follow the prompts on your screen until you reach this ShareFile welcome screen:
Once here, you are ready to begin uploading files to your ShareFile account and start sharing those files with as many people as you wish.
How to share files online with ShareFile
Before you begin sharing files, it is helpful to learn how to upload files from your computer to your ShareFile account. The following videos will help walk you through this process. If you prefer, you can read a list of step-by-step instructions beneath them instead.
1. Upload files to your ShareFile account.
- Click Create Folder.
- Give your file a user-friendly name.
- Click Create Folder.
- Click Upload Files.
- Once you see ShareFile's uploader, click Browse Files to locate the file on your computer.
- Select the file for upload and click Open.
- You can upload multiple files at once by clicking Add more.
2. Share files that are stored on your ShareFile account.
- Find the file in your account and right-click it.
- Decide whether you wish to share the files through ShareFile email or by sharing a secure link.
- If you choose the email option: Enter the email address of the recipient, fill out the subject line and include a brief message in the body of the email. Then click Send.
- If you choose the secure link option: Check when the link is set to expire and then click Get a Link. This will copy a secure link to the file that you can then paste anywhere — in an email, in a document, even in an app.
You can share files that are stored on your computer by following the instructions that we have already discussed. To share a file from your computer, click the Share button in your ShareFile navigation bar and choose if you would like to share it through email or through a secure link.
Online file sharing FAQ
Congratulations! You now know how to upload and share files using your ShareFile account. But this doesn't mean you won't have questions later on. Below is a list of frequently asked questions to help ensure you get started using ShareFile on the right foot.
1. Can I reset my ShareFile password?
Of course! To change your password, click My Settings in the top navigation bar. On the next page, click Change Password in the menu located on the left side of your screen. Enter your old password and your new password, then click Save.
2. What if I have forgotten my password?
No problem! Go to the login page of your ShareFile account and click Forgot Password? Enter your email address and follow the prompts on your screen. You will receive an email from us momentarily with a link to reset your password. Click the link, enter your new password and click Reset Password. Your forgotten password is now reset.
3. How secure is ShareFile?
At ShareFile, we understand how damaging a security breach can be for a business. In fact, according to an article published by Kaspersky Lab, "There are too many variables that contribute to the total impact of a corporate security breach. The consequences are also different: for some businesses it’s the slight increase of the total IT budget, for others it’s a significant financial and reputational damage, and for some it’s going out of business with all assets wiped out. One thing is certain — the cost of a security breach is always higher than the cost of protection: the ability to reduce the risk and avoid the shaky path of recovery always pays off."
Our online file-sharing software includes several security features to ensure your confidential data is protected while at rest and during transit. These include:
- Redundant storage. Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) providers ensure high file durability and availability.
- High-grade encryption. ShareFile secures files in transit with no less than 128-bit encryption and protects files at rest using AES 256-bit encryption — the same protocol used by the U.S. government to keep highly classified files secure.
- Firewalls. Our securely configured firewalls effectively control and limit access to network segments to help ensure files are protected during processing.
- View-only permission. This prevents other users from being able to download, print or save the selected files to their computer.
- File retention. Users have the option to automatically delete files within a certain number of days after upload to support company policies and retention preferences.
- HIPAA. ShareFile supports your organization's HIPAA compliance and will sign a HIPAA Business Associate Agreement upon request.
- Remote wipe. ShareFile users can remotely wipe or lock data from a lost or stolen device.
4. How can I add employee users to my ShareFile account?
You will only be able to add employee users to the account if you are an admin user. If you are, follow these steps:
- Log into your account and click Manage Users in the top navigation bar.
- Click Create Employee.
- Enter the employee's email address. This will be his or her username.
- Click Next Step.
- Enter the user's first and last name.
- Select which features the user may access on the account by checking the checkboxes next to the features and tools you choose.
- Click Next Step.
- Choose which folders you would like to give the user access to and select them. When you finish, click Add User to Folders and Groups. You may skip this step if you prefer.
5. How can I add client users to my ShareFile account?
If you are an admin user on the account, add client users by following the same previous steps, but instead of choosing Create Employee in step one, click Create Client. And remember: with ShareFile, you can add as many client users as you need.
6. How can I request a file from another party?
Citrix ShareFile provides you with a secure means of requesting files from others, even if they aren't ShareFile users. To request a file, access the Request option in the navigation bar. Would you like to submit your request via the ShareFile email system? Or would you rather generate a link you can copy and paste into a message or app yourself? Choose what fits your workflow best.
Let's say you chose to request your files via the ShareFile email system. You can enter your recipient's email address manually in the recipients field or add existing users or distribution groups from your address book. You may customize the subject and body of your message.
The next step is an important one: choose the location in your ShareFile account where you want to have requested files uploaded. By default, files will upload to your file box. A grayed-out icon means either you cannot or do not have permission to upload files to that location.
Once you've selected your destination, check out the message options. You can choose to be sent a copy of the email your recipient will receive, be notified when files are uploaded or require your recipients to log in.
It's always a good idea to check the access expiration field before sending your message. When finished, send your request.
Let's say you wanted to save time and used the Get a Link option. Set the upload destination and then double-check your link options. Click Get a Link, then use the Copy Link button to copy your new link to your clipboard automatically. Right-click and paste the link wherever you need it.
7. Can I set up folders to better organize my files?
Definitely! To set up folders:
- Click Create Folder in the right-hand corner of the home screen.
- Enter a name for your folder when prompted.
- Add a description of the folder if desired.
- Share this folder with other users on your ShareFile account by clicking Add Users from the drop-down menu.
8. How do I know ShareFile is right for my business?
When developing ShareFile, we wanted our software to be applicable to a variety of business types and our platform to be customizable in appearance and function. Currently, businesses across multiple verticals are using ShareFile for their document storage solution, including:
- Accounting and financing
- Engineering and construction
- Real estate
In the following videos, ShareFile users from two different verticals explain how their organizations uses ShareFile to store, send and edit files online.
9. What if my company needs help implementing ShareFile into our organization?
ShareFile will help you customize your account and train your team to ensure your company gets the most out of our software — free of charge. We call this White Glove Setup.
During White Glove Setup, an onboarding specialist provides a comprehensive breakdown of the features and settings available for your account and configures each according to your preferences. Customized setup allows you to evaluate your account’s features and settings in the first few days and weeks of opening an account and decreases the overall time needed for setup and administration of the account. — ShareFile white paper
During White Glove Setup, your onboarding specialist will:
- Discuss strategies for rolling out the account to employees and clients.
- Walk through the web-based application, including an overview of employee and client user roles.
- Provide an overview of account administration and reporting.
- Introduce the Power Tools available for download and desktop use.
Choosing a ShareFile plan
When it comes to sharing files online, every business is unique in their needs. ShareFile provides plans to meet the needs of any business, big or small. Below is a brief overview of each ShareFile plan.
1. Personal Plan, $16 per month — Includes one employee account, storage and file size limit of 100 GB.
2. Team Plan, $60 per month — Includes five employee accounts, 1 TB storage and file size limit of 100 GB.
3. Business Plan, $100 per month — Includes five employee accounts, unlimited storage and file size limit of 100 GB.
4. Virtual Data Room, $295 per month — Includes advanced security and tracking, 5 GB storage and file size limit of 100 GB.
To learn more about these plans and to see which features are included with each one, refer to our plans and pricing page. But remember — you have 30 days to use ShareFile for free!
Still have questions? We are available 24/7 to assist you. Give us a call today!