What if you could utilize SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) without having to learn all the commands? Would you like to benefit from the security strength of an SFTP server but avoid the installation and maintenance that comes along with it? What about optimizing your HIPAA compliance without having to teach your employees a complicated system? Thanks to Citrix ShareFile, you can.
In other words, do you like to have your cake and eat it too? Thanks to Citrix ShareFile, you can.
Commanding a better SFTP
Security is a funny thing — the more of it you have, the harder it is to monitor. Many companies attempt the migration to a Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) but lack the IT resources to keep up with the demands of such a server. Or the system is too complex for mass use. This leads you to make a decision with no right answer: Either jeopardize your security or compromise ease of use.
But ShareFile actually makes it possible to maximize both. Our solution is cloud-based, which means you have no software installation, hardware maintenance or upgrades that are often associated with SFTP servers. Not only does cloud file sharing require little-to-no internal IT support, it is simple for every employee and client to use. Files are uploaded to storage and retrieved by end users in a matter of seconds, all with the simplicity of sending an email.
You’re probably assuming that because of all this ease of use that ShareFile is not as secure as your traditional SFTP. Actually, ShareFile is more secure. We use a 128-bit SSL encryption, the same protection banks and even the U.S. government utilize. We even keep your files encrypted during storage, something normal SFTP servers don’t do. Daily third-party security audits, off-site data backups and 24/7 availability monitoring takes the safety of your data the extra mile.
How to use ShareFile for secure file transfer
With ShareFile, you can start securely sharing files in just a few short minutes. We even offer a free no obligation 30-day trial so that you can try out ShareFile before you buy.
To sign up for your ShareFile free trial, fill out this form with your name and email address, create a password for your account and then click Start My Free Trial. You will be brought to a page that asks you to fill in your company name, industry and other information. Once you fill out these sections you will be brought to the ShareFile welcome page that looks like this:
From here, you will be able to upload, store and share files.
How to upload files
To upload files from your computer to your ShareFile account, follow the steps below.
- Click Create Folder.
- Give the folder a user friendly name.
- Click Create Folder.
- Click Upload Files.
- Click Browse Files, located within the ShareFile uploader.
- Locate the file on your computer.
- Select the file for upload and click Open.
Your file should begin uploading.
How to share files
For many businesses, the allure of SFTP is that it allows files—even large ones—to be shared within minutes without the limitations of email. ShareFile allows this too, and with added security and a more intuitive interface. The following video will help walk you through the file-sharing process, whether you are wanting to share files that live on your computer or files that are stored on your ShareFile account.
- If you want to share a file that is stored in your ShareFile account, find the file and right-click it, or select the checkboxes next to multiple files to send them all at once.
- When you right-click the file, you will be presented with a menu that asks how you would like to send the file: through ShareFile email or through a secure link. Choose whichever option is best for you.
- If you choose to send the file through ShareFile email, enter your recipient's email address in the email address field. Be sure to include an email subject and a message to the recipient.
- Click Send.
- If you choose to send the file through a secure link, click Get a Link. You can then paste the link wherever you need. You may choose to paste the link in an email, Word document or even in a chat application.
- To send a file that is stored on your computer (and not in your ShareFile account), click the Share button located in the top navigation bar.
- Choose how you would like to share the file (through email or by generating a secure link).
- Follow the same directions listed above for each share option.
Don't wear yourself out learning SFTP commands. There's an easier path to safety with ShareFile. Learn even more about how we can satisfy your SFTP demands, and even use ShareFile free for 30 days with a no-obligation trial.