"You’d think switching from a paper-based workflow to an electronic one would improve the consistency of keeping documents organized for your business. Instead, many people are discovering that these efforts can be an electronic version of document management torture. Depending on how organized your staff is, documents can still fall through the cracks and get lost among the multitude of files cluttering each desktop and hard drive. That’s why a document management system (DMS) is often necessary."
Today, document management systems for businesses "range in size and scope, from small, standalone systems to large scale enterprise-wide configurations serving a global audience." And many online document management systems provide users with a way to incorporate standard physical document filing methods electronically, such as:
Managing documents is not an easy task, especially for businesses that handle large amounts of documents each day. Managing documents manually takes up time and money that your company could spend elsewhere. By implementing a DMS, you can alleviate the pressure caused by trying to balance document management with your daily workflow.
Eliminate paper waste
Online document management systems are also more cost-effective for your business because they eliminate paper waste. Electronic documents can be easily edited if a mistake is made, but paper document edits require reprinting, which uses up expensive resources like ink and paper.
The advantages of using online document management versus traditional methods are vast. As more and more companies look to technology to help manage their records, cloud-based document management systems are becoming a popular choice.
MYCustomer outlines five benefits that businesses could enjoy by implementing a cloud-based document management solution:
1. Cost savings — Cloud storage is typically cheaper than local data storage options because it eliminates the need for expensive equipment, such as hard drives, backup methods, servers, computers and electricity. Cloud storage also reduces the time it takes to manage your data, update your software, ensure security and more.
2. Accessibility — The beauty of cloud storage is that it allows you to access your documents and data at any time of day from anywhere with an Internet connection.
3. Security improvements — Encrypted data and automatic backups make cloud storage one of the safest ways you can store your data. Most document management software even allows you to set passwords on your documents and edit your sharing preferences in order to control who can view your data.
— Natural disaster? Computer crash? No problem. All cloud storage providers take measures to ensure your data is safe and sound — even in the event that your device is stolen or malfunctions.
5. Speed & efficiency — It should come as no surprise that cloud document management is faster and more efficient than paper methods. The accessibility combined with rapid document deployment and scalability makes cloud storage extremely fast and convenient.
Does my company need online document management software?
Businesses need online document management for many different purposes, but according to Software Advice, most buyers look for online document management software for one of the following reasons:
Digitizing company documents.
"Organizations looking to go paperless by digitizing paper records often seek a stand-alone document imaging application to help upload these records quickly, without having to manually scan them. Imaging applications are sometimes part of a larger integrated suite that offers additional tools for the tracking, storage and retrieval of these digital records."
Securing sensitive records
"Companies in certain industries are subject to government regulations that mandate how records are stored and accessed. These regulations often require organizations to keep both historical and current documents in a digital format, and to limit who can access them. These companies often seek document management applications that are designed to aid compliance, and include features such as audit trails and role-based permissions."
Organizing file systems.
"Many companies have difficulty finding and accessing files. For example, documents may be stored across multiple locations, including network drives, individual desktops and Web-based file-sharing platforms (e.g., Dropbox), which in some cases may violate company policies. These buyers seek to unify document storage so employees can access documents both easily and securely.
Many larger organizations often seek Enterprise Content Management (ECM) solutions, which are more comprehensive systems that often include records and digital asset management applications, among others."
Seeking an industry-specific solution.
"Certain companies require solutions that are tailored to the specific document life cycles in their organization and include case or contract management tools. Document management software helps automate and track the unique workflow of these records to improve efficiency while ensuring no step is missed."
Whether you are looking to digitize company documents, secure sensitive records, organize your file systems or just seeking an online document management system made specifically for your industry, Citrix ShareFile can help.
A faster way to manage your documents and workflow
Your team needs effective file management, and that is where ShareFile comes in. We are dedicated to providing businesses with document management solutions that simplify their workflow.
With ShareFile you can:
Simplify communication with team members even more by using the ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook to easily encrypt messages and convert attachments to secure ShareFile links.
Streamline the ways files are signed. With ShareFile + RightSignature your clients can electronically sign documents that will be automatically saved in the ShareFile folder where they were created. Send large files in under a minute and allow clients to sign them directly on your website. Keep track of the documents you are sending for signature, plus send and receive files securely by email with ShareFile encrypted messages and attachments.
Manage your data by controlling who has access at any given time. Track check-ins and check-outs, set permissions, authenticate users and receive notifications to help you keep track of which files have been viewed.
More ShareFile benefits...
Cloud-based services for file sharing, syncing and storage from ShareFile are made to keep document management simple and effective. The many benefits of our DMS include:
● Flexibility: Enjoy access to your files and folders from any mobile device or desktop with Internet capability.
● Consistent organization: Take control of files and folders with our multi-level access settings. Our system integrates with your daily workflow, so you can quickly and easily find the information you need.
● Offsite backups: With cloud storage, your data is backed up and protected in multiple offsite datacenters. In case of a system failure, backups will quickly enable you to restore your documents and get back up and running.
● Lots of storage: We offer four levels of file management plans that include storage options that range from 100 GB to unlimited.
● Easy sharing and file syncing: With ShareFile, it is easy to upload and share files up to 10 GB in size.
ShareFile on the go
When it comes to managing files, mobility is key. With ShareFile, you can give your team and clients easy access to files anywhere anytime. Our software allows you to access, share, request and edit files with updated security protocols form devices such devices as:
Along with all of the other great benefits and features of ShareFile, there's no sacrifice of affordability or performance — and certainly no shortage of file-sharing and storage security. In fact, our security measures support the efforts of HIPAA, FINRA and other industry regulations. Here's how we keep your information safe:
- High-level data encryption — ShareFile uses AES 256-bit encryption — the same standard used by the U.S. government for classified files — and we maintain file encryption whether your data is in transfer or at rest in our servers.
- Datacenter protection — Data stored in the "cloud" is actually stored in a global infrastructure of data centers and servers. If those servers are damage, your data could be lost forever if it is not backed up. That is why ShareFile utilizes disaster recovery centers and SSAE 16 audited servers, backed up by multiple other datacenters around the globe.
- Custom security settings — File-sharing security should be customizable to fit your company and clients' needs. With ShareFile, you customize your security settings and take advantage of file activity reports, download alerts, remote wipe and more.
Industry specific solutions
"ShareFile is loaded with features and integrations that make sense for every business. We also provide customized solutions for the specific needs and document workflows of these industries:"
- Real Estate
Try ShareFile for free for 30 days
If you are ready to implement a more effective and efficient way for your business to manage documents, sign up for a free 30-day trial from ShareFile. All you need to sign up is your name, email address and a ShareFile password — no credit card necessary.
With your free 30-day trial you can:
● Store an unlimited number of files.
● Create accounts for five employee that can be accessed anytime, anywhere from iOS, Android, Windows and Blackberry devices.
● Enjoy security features, such as AES 256-bit encryption during transfer and storage phases.
● Customize branding for your portal with the help of our team of graphic artists.
● Have access to 24/7 phone and email support.
● Sync your workflow with your desktop.
● Keep files safe with mobile device security.
● Customize tools and buttons within your portal.
With our online document management services, you can upload files from any device or location, retrieve the files to make modifications or share with colleagues or clients and return the files to the datacenter when you’re finished.
Sign up for your free trial now, and enjoy a better way to manage documents online free for 30 days.