Email is quick, convenient and affordable. But email servers place restrictions on the size of a file that can be sent. And even when files fit within the size limits, sending the email can be a slow process that bogs down your entire computer. So how do you address this weak spot and email large files?
How to work around email for large files
There are a few different ways to email large files, including:
1. Email attachments: Sending the file as an attachment is a more efficient way of emailing large files than putting it in the body of the message. But even attachments have their limits, with most of them capping around 10 MB in size.
2. Multi-part archives: One way to email a large file is to split it up into several smaller pieces and send each piece in a separate email. This gets the file to its destination, but it arrives in fragments, creating confusion and lacking efficiency for the recipient who must then piece together several emails to view one complete file.
3. Free file-sharing service: A free file-sharing service allows you to upload a large file and provides you with a link to the file, which you can then email to your recipient. But these services are often accompanied by display ads, hidden costs and size restrictions.
4. Cloud-based file-sharing software: With Citrix ShareFile, you can email files of up to 100 GB in size in just seconds. And best of all, you can do it from any location, even right from your smartphone or tablet.
How to share large files via email with ShareFile
ShareFile email allows large files — all the way up to 100 GB — to be shared in an instant. And unlike traditional email, your large files will arrive all in one piece, not in several segments broken up.
You can begin sharing files today by signing up for a free no-obligation 30-day trial from ShareFile. To sign up, follow these steps.
- Visit ShareFile.com and fill out the form on the right side of the page with your name and email address. Create an account password and click Start My Free Trial.
- Once you click Start My Free Trial and go to the next sign-up page, fill out the fields and continue. You will then be taken to the ShareFile welcome screen. From here, you can begin emailing large files.
Emailing large files
Emailing large files with ShareFile is simple! The following video will walk you through the process. You can also scroll past the video for a list of step-by-step instructions.
To share a file that lives on your computer:
1. Click Share from the ShareFile navigation bar located at the top of your screen.
2. Click Email with ShareFile.
3. Insert the recipient's email address and add a subject and message that explains what you are sharing with them.
4. Drag the file you wish to share to the area labeled Drag Files Here or click Browse Files (under the drop-and-drag feature). Click From Computer to locate the file on your computer and select it for upload.
5. When you share a file from your computer with ShareFile, the file will automatically be uploaded to your ShareFile File Box. This means that if you need to share this file again, you can share it directly from your ShareFile account and will not have to re-upload it from your computer hard drive.
Note: Depending on your account settings, you may not have permission to send files that live on your computer. In this case, you can either contact the admin user on the account and ask for permission or you can upload the file from your computer to your ShareFile account and send it from there.
To upload a file from your computer to your ShareFile account:
1. Click Create Folder.
2. Name the folder.
3. Click Create Folder.
4. Either drag and drop the file into the ShareFile uploader or click Upload Files located in the top right corner of your screen.
5. Click Browse Files to locate the file on your computer and select it for upload. Click Open.
To share a file that has been uploaded to your ShareFile account:
1. Find the file in your account and right-click it.
2. Click Email with ShareFile.
3. Fill out the recipient's email address. Be sure to include a subject and message.
4. Press Send.
The cloud is quickly becoming the file-sharing method of choice for modern businesses. In an article in Forbes, Reuven Cohen noted this about cloud computing's role in business:
"If you’ve attended a technology conference over the last couple years, it’s hard to avoid the obvious buzz around cloud computing. Almost every vendor has applied the term to anything and everything imaginable. During this time, there has been some debate over the level of adoption outside of the start-up scene, specifically within the larger 'enterprise class' of companies. We’re now at a point where most 'new software' s created with the Internet as a central tenant. It’s how modern software is developed, deployed and consumed. Yes. The cloud has gone mainstream."
When you send large files using ShareFile, you are connected to a network of cloud servers that act as much more than a simple email service. As an industry-leading cloud storage provider, ShareFile helps business streamline their day-to-day operations across the board. Here's the ways how:
The plans offered by ShareFile all include significant storage options. Our Personal plan includes 100 GB of storage, our Team plan includes 1 TB storage, our Virtual Data Room includes 5 GB storage and our Team Plan includes unlimited storage.
24/7 customer support
Whether you need help setting up your ShareFile account for the first time or need technical assistance later on, our customer support team is happy to help. With White Glove Setup, we help customize and set up your ShareFile account to ensure a fast and efficient deployment. Not only does White Glove Setup provide you with the one-on-one training you need as an administrative user, it enables you to evaluate your account's settings and features before rolling ShareFile out to fellow users.
ShareFile Sync for Windows is a desktop app that automatically synchronizes a folder on your PC with your ShareFile account in real time. ShareFile Sync for Windows allows for quick and convenient automatic updates and backup of your data from your desktop computer. The following video explains how to install ShareFile Sync for Windows.
Note: Mac users can follow the link to learn how to install ShareFile Sync for Mac.
To install ShareFile Sync for Windows, navigate to the Apps section of your ShareFile account. Locate Sync for Windows and click the Download button to download and run the installation file. You must accept the license agreement to continue the installation. Once installation is complete, click Finish. You can now configure your app.
Enter your credentials when prompted. ShareFile Sync will automatically create a local sync folder. If you wish, you can change this during setup. You will be shown a brief tutorial on using the ShareFile sync app. Once you have installed ShareFile Sync for Windows, your My Files and Folders will automatically sync.
To sync additional folders, right-click the green sync icon in your task bar and select Preferences. Click the Shared Folders tab and click the checkboxes next to the shared folders that you wish to sync. Then click OK. The files will automatically sync. You can monitor the progress of your sync jobs by right-clicking the ShareFile icon in the task bar.
Your local sync location is automatically added to the Favorites section of your computer under ShareFile. To quickly access the syncing folder on your PC, double click the ShareFile icon in your task bar. Within the Sync ShareFile folder, there are three folders listed.
- My Files and Folders
- Shared Folders
- Favorite Folders
To easily upload a file directly to ShareFile, move or drag the file or folder to a location within My Files and Folders or within a shared or favorite folder. Note that you cannot place or save files at the root levels of shared folders or favorite folders. Also, you cannot place or save files into a folder where you have not been granted upload permissions.
The syncing status of your files is denoted by one of three icons. The green check icon indicates the file has synced. The blue syncing icon indicates the file is currently being synced, and the red explanation point icon indicates an error was encountered while syncing. In the even of a syncing error, please contact ShareFile customer support at 1-800-441-3453.
Use ShareFile Sync for Windows to easily sync files on your computer to folders in your ShareFile account without having to log in to the ShareFile web application.
In a recent survey of more than 5,500 companies around the world, Kaspersky Lab found that 90 percent of businesses have had a security incident and 46 percent of businesses have lost sensitive data due to an internal or external security threat. In a document published on the survey results, Kaspersky Lab states:
"Almost all businesses, regardless of their size, have to invite external experts to recover from a security breach. But these expenses are quite low in comparison with losses from downtime and the lost business opportunities caused by an attack. Not all security breaches lead to downtime, but if this does occur (in about a third of incidents it does), it becomes the most expensive consequence of an attack: up to 1.4 million USD for large businesses."
One of the biggest advantages of ShareFile is that it keeps your data secure both during transfer and at rest. Some of our software's most impressive security features include:
- High-grade encryption — At rest, your files are protected by AES 256-bit encryption, the same protocol used by the U.S. government and banks to protect highly classified files and data. During transit, your files are protected with no less than 128-bit encryption using industry-standard encryption protocols.
- Account activity reporting — Admin users can access various reports on usage, storage, activity and permissions. These reports can be emailed to administrators daily, weekly, monthly or on demand.
- Multi-factor authentication — Users have the ability to set up a strong authentication process that requires secondary authentication, such as SMS, text message and token-based authentication.
- Remote wipe — If a device is lost or stolen, users can wipe or lock their device remotely to prevent unauthorized access.
- Redundant storage — Your data will be stored in replicate with leading IaaS providers to ensure high file durability.
To fit the needs of businesses of every size and industry, we offer four ShareFile plans to choose from.
1. Personal Plan
For $16 per month, you will have access to one employee account, 100 GB storage and a max file size of 10 GB.
2. Team Plan
For $60 per month, you will have access to five employee accounts, 1 TB storage and a max file size of 10 GB.
3. Business Plan
For $100 per month, you will have access to five employee accounts, unlimited storage and a max file size of 100 GB.
4. Virtual Data Room
Our Virtual Data Room provides advanced security, sharing and control and includes 5 GB storage and a max file size of 10 GB.
Learn more about the features offered with each ShareFile plan.
It’s easy to see why cloud-based file-sharing software such as ShareFile is the most efficient way to send large files. Simply upload the file in just a few easy steps, and you can grant access to users of your choosing. Files are protected by top-of-the-line security measures and tracked in real time for any modifications, and they can sync up with your desktop or mobile device.
Sign up for a free 30-day trial of ShareFile, and you’ll be emailing large files in no time.