A common way of organizing, storing and easily accessing documents is setting up an electronic filing system. It’s less strenuous than pushing a heavy file cabinet into the corner and is also more effective in managing your documents.
Here are the steps you should take to implement an electronic filing system:
1. Make a list of all the information you want to file electronically.
2. Turn the list into an outline, creating categories and subcategories.
3. Create a main folder by using the “Create new folder” feature on your operating system. Then create folders for each category, label them and create subfolders within the category folders. For example, if a category folder is “Taxes,” create a subfolder for each year.
4. Upload all your files and documents, then back up your data to a third-party device like a flash drive or external hard drive. If your computer crashes or is attacked by a virus, you don’t want to lose your filing system. Continue to perform regular backups as new files are added.
5. As your filing system grows, you may have to transfer and archive older data that is not regularly accessed to an external device in order to make room for more incoming files.
Things to consider
When setting up an electronic filing system, there are a few things to consider:
● Security. Encrypting files and incorporating password protection is prudent.
● Shareability. If you plan on having to send files through an email system, keep them at a manageable size.
● Mobility. If you want to be able to access your filing system on the go, back up your files to a flash drive that can be taken with you or utilize remote desktop software.
The simple solution
An easier way of setting up an electronic filing system is to use cloud-based file-sharing software like Citrix ShareFile. ShareFile allows you to easily upload files to an unlimited storage space where documents are organized, searchable, easily shareable, safe and accessible from anywhere.
You can sign up for a free 30-day trial of the solutions from ShareFile under no obligation. The setup process takes only seconds, and you can begin filing electronically with our system right away.