Numerous free file syncing software sites promise users seamless syncing and the ability to transfer large files and folders and perform regular backups. But many file sync software are unreliable and often unable to provide the high-level security features. The exception is Citrix ShareFile, which develops file sync software backed by encryption, remote wipe and more.
Start syncing files for free
We understand that investing in file sync and file-sharing software is a major commitment — especially if you haven't seen how the software will work within your organization. This is why ShareFile offers a free no obligation 30-day trial to anyone who signs up. To sign up for your free trial, follow the directions below.
1. Navigate to the ShareFile home page.
2. Fill out the form on the right side of your screen with your first and last name and email address. Create a password for your ShareFile account and click Start My Free Trial.
3. You will be directed to another form, which asks for your company name, company website, phone number and industry. Fill in these fields and click Start Sharing Now.
You will be taken to the ShareFile welcome screen, which looks like this:
4. From the welcome screen you can begin uploading, transferring and syncing files.
The basics of ShareFile Sync
ShareFile Sync allows you to synchronize folders within your ShareFile account with folders on your computer for easy automatic updates and backup of your data. You can choose either a ShareFile folder or a local folder to be the source, allowing you to mirror a folder in either location. You can also select to setup a two-way synchronization so that updates to either folder will be automatically recognized and adopted by the other.
Please note that this feature requires Adobe Air 2.0 or better to run, and the installer will ensure Adobe Air is available and install the latest version if an update is needed. Because ShareFile Sync uses Adobe Air as a platform, it is compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems.
1. To install ShareFile Sync, navigate to the Apps section of your account.
2. Locate Sync for Windows or Mac and click the Download button to download and run the installation file.
3. You must accept the license agreement to continue installation. Check the checkbox next to I accept the terms in the License Agreement and click Install.
4. Once installation is complete, click Finish. You can now configure your app.
5. Enter your account credentials when prompted.
6. Once you have successfully installed ShareFile Sync for Windows, your My Files and Folders will automatically sync.
7. To sync additional folders, right-click the green sync icon in the task bar and select Preferences.
7. Click the Shared Folders tab and click the check boxes next to the folders that you would like to sync. Click OK.
8. Your local sync location is automatically added to the Favorites section of your computer under ShareFile.
9. To quickly access the local syncing folder on your PC, double-click the ShareFile icon in the task bar. Within the Sync ShareFile folder there are three folders listed:
- My Files and Folders
- Favorite Folders
- Shared Folders
10. To easily upload a file directly to ShareFile, move or drag the file or folder to a location within My Files and Folders or within a Shared or Favorite folder.
11. The syncing status of your folders is denoted by one of three icons:
- The green check icon indicates that the file has synced.
- The blue syncing icon indicates the file is currently being synced.
- The red exclamation point indicates an error was encountered while syncing with ShareFile. In case of this event, contact ShareFile customer support at 1-800-441-3453.
What else is included with your ShareFile free trial?
When you sign up for a ShareFile free 30-day trial, you get more than a file-syncing solution. Other features will include:
1. Generous storage options
Your can store up to 10 GB of data, so you never have to delete files to free up space on your computer hard drive. This video will explain how to upload and store files on your ShareFile account.
- Click Create Folder.
- Name the folder, then click the green Create Folder button.
- Drag and drop the file into the designated upload area or click the Upload Files button in the right-hand corner of your screen.
- Click Browse Files.
- Locate the file on your computer and select it for upload. Click Open. Your file will automatically upload to your ShareFile account.
2. 24/7 support
Our customer support team is available to assist you by phone or live chat as needed.
3. The ability to transfer large files quickly
You can send large files, including media files, high-definition graphics and multi-page documents, without having to send separate attachments like you would when using an email service. To learn how to exchange files from your ShareFile account, watch this video or read through the instructions below.
If the file you wish to share has already been uploaded to your ShareFile account:
- Find the file in your account and right-click it.
- Choose whether you would like to share the file through ShareFile email or through a secure link. Click the option that works best for you.
If you choose the email option:
- Enter your recipient's email address (the recipient does not have to be a ShareFile user).
- Fill in the email subject line.
- Write a brief message to the recipient explaining what you are sending them.
- Click Send.
- You just send a secure encrypted email with ShareFile!
If you choose the link option:
- When you right-click the file you wish you share, click Get a Link, which will copy a link to the file to your clipboard.
- Paste the link wherever you wish — within an email, a document or even a chat application.
4. High-grade encryption
According to a blog posted by Kaspersky Lab, "Encryption is the process of transforming information in such a way that an unauthorized third party cannot read it. A trusted person can decrypt data and access it in its original form though. There are a lot of popular encryption/decryption methods, but the key to security is not a proprietary algorithm. The most important thing is keeping the encryption key (password) a secret so only trusted parties know it."
When you use ShareFile, your files are saved using 256-bit AES encryption both during storage and while in transit. This level of encryption is the same protocol used by banks and the United States government to secure classified files.
How to send an encrypted message
You can compose an encrypted email message from the inbox section of your account by following these steps:
- Click Compose to create a new message.
- Enter your recipient's email address or add recipients from your address book.
- Include a subject and a message.
- Attach a file by dragging it into the designated field or using the Browse Files button to locate the file you wish to attach.
- Customize your security and notification settings if desired by clicking Edit Message Options.
- Click Done and then click Send.
- Your message will pause while the attachment is uploaded to your account.
5. Custom branding
Your ShareFile account can be branded with your company's logo and colors to match the look and feel of your company's official website. The instructions listed below will help you brand your new ShareFile account in no time.
Basic branding options
- Click the Admin button in your account's navigation bar.
- Click Edit Custom Branding.
- Fill in the fields and choose the color options that best represent your business. Click Save.
Advanced branding options
- Click the Admin button in the top navigation bar.
- Click Edit Custom Branding.
- Click the Advanced Appearance Options link.
- Click each section to view available branding options and make your desired changes.
- Click Save.
6. ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook
The ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook enables you to upload and send new files, insert links to files and request files directly from Microsoft Outlook email messages. In an article in Forbes magazine, Ben Kepes noted this about ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook:
"Today ShareFile is announcing that users can now send encrypted emails from either within Microsoft Outlook or the ShareFile portal. Rather than bouncing customers out to the ShareFile portal when an email needs to be sent, the emails themselves are encrypted and secure and meet the requirements for HIPAA and other regulations. ShareFile gives a healthcare example whereby healthcare practitioners, for example, can save files directly from electronic medical record systems to the dedicated ShareFile cloud for protected health information. They can then send them as a link in an encrypted email right from their inbox — while maintaining HIPAA compliance. Recipients only need to enter their email address, first and last name to securely access files. ShareFile is also pushing a strongly vertical strategy with particular tailored offerings for healthcare, financial services, and data rooms — these customizations include specific features as well as integrations with third party applications.
In this video, we will walk you through how to install and use ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook.
There are a few system requirements to use Microsoft Outlook:
- Microsoft Outlook 2007 or later
- Windows OS only
- Employee users only (client users are unable to use this feature)
- Microsoft.Net framework Version 4.0 or later
How to install ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook
- Sign in to your ShareFile account.
- Click the Apps link in the top navigation bar.
- Locate Outlook Plugin in the applications list and click the Download button.
- When the download is complete, make sure you exit out of Microsoft Outlook. Then run the installation file.
- Choose a default or customized installation. By default, the ShareFile Plugin includes an auto update service. If you do not want the plugin to automatically update when a new version is available, choose Customized Settings.
- Click the Next button.
- Accept the License Agreement to complete the installation of the plugin.
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- You will be prompted to enter the email address, subdomain and password of the ShareFile account you wish to link.
How to use the ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook
- Open a new email message.
- The plugin consists of three buttons on the message ribbon: Convert Attachments, Attach Files and Request Files.
- To send a file using the plugin, click the Attach Files button.
- You can attach a file from your PC or from your ShareFile account.
- If you choose to attach a file from your PC, select the file you wish to attach and click the Open button.
- If you choose to attach a file from your ShareFile account, locate the file from the ShareFile Browser and click the checkbox beside it. Then click OK.
- Whichever option you choose, the files will be automatically added to your email message in the ShareFile banner.
- Include a message and click Send.
For further reading
By now you can see that ShareFile is much more than a file-syncing solution, and we hope you enjoy your free no obligation 30-day trial. If you would like to sign up for ShareFile after your 30-day trial has expired, you can find that information on our plans and pricing page.
Still have questions about our software or file synchronization? The following articles can help.