Free file-sharing and collaboration software is readily available, and may be a tempting solution for a startup or small business. Free file collaboration tools offer a number of drawbacks, both in terms of features and data security. This can cost your business time and money, so let's look at some more effective solutions.
Top challenges of free file collaboration tools
In most cases, it's true that you get what you pay for. File collaboration software is no different. Below are some common challenges of free file collaboration software as well as some other solutions to help keep your business on track and within budget.
1. Storage — Although most business owners turn to free file collaboration tools to save money, many of them end up spending even more money on add-ons to make up for limited storage and sharing options.
2. Security — Larry Ponemon, chairman of Ponemon Institute, the parent organization of the Responsible Information Management Council, notes that "Nearly two-thirds of those that move sensitive data to the cloud regard their service providers as being primarily responsible for protecting that data, even though a similar number have little or no knowledge about what measures their providers have put in place to protect data."
3. Reliability — When asked about the pros and cons of some popular free file collaboration systems, some people reported syncing glitches, missing files and other technical problems.
4. Support — "When things go wrong, who is available to help?" This question is often ignored by business owners when choosing a file collaboration tool and replaced with "How much money can I save by choosing a free service?" The fact is, the latter question should not be asked without also asking the former. Not only is it important to choose a file collaboration tool that is reliable — you should choose one that provides prompt technical support when things do go wrong.
The solution? Citrix ShareFile
ShareFile solves these challenges by developing file collaboration software with:
- Large storage and flexible sharing options
- Top-grade security
- Unprecedented reliability
- 24/7 customer support