Every business can benefit from encrypted email.
Although email is one of the simplest ways to share documents and files with others, for businesses that regularly handle confidential data, email does not provide the level of security they need. This is especially true for those working in health care, legal and financial industries.
A recent study on the cost of security breaches on small businesses and enterprises found that enterprises pay $551,000 to recover from a security breach and small businesses spend $38,000. The study goes on to report that "this is direct spend required to recover from an attack. In addition, the indirect costs for enterprises are $69,000 and $8,000 for small businesses."
The study also pointed out that the top three consequences of a breach are:
- Loss of access to business-critical information
- Temporary loss of ability to trade
- Damage to company reputation
The top three most expensive types of security breaches are:
- Cyber espionage
- Fraud by employees
- Third-party failure
With these expensive threats a real possibility, every business should take precautions to secure and limit access to its sensitive data, both internally and externally.
Citrix ShareFile encrypted email
ShareFile encrypted email provides the security your business needs without adding complicated installs or maintenance to your to-do list. It does so by using these key features:
- Customizable security settings
- Link expiration
- Password protection
- Multi-factor authentication
- The ability to send large files — up to 100 GB
- 256-bit encryption
- SSL/TLS transfer protocols
- HIPAA, HITECH and CFPB compliance
Key benefits of ShareFile include:
- A simple-to-use intuitive web interface for users
- No disruption to current processes
- Microsoft Outlook sync
- The ability of admin users to revoke access to encrypted email content, even after the email is sent
- Increased productivity and efficiency
- Streamlined workflow
Try encrypted email for free
ShareFile offers a free no obligation 30-day trial to anyone who wants to try out ShareFile — no credit card information needed. To sign up for your free trial, click here and fill in your information on the free trial registration form. Then click Start My Free Trial.
When you are taken to the next screen, you will be asked to provide your company name, company website, phone number and industry. By providing us with this information we will be able to create a customized portal just for you.
Once you have filled out the required information, you will be directed to the ShareFile welcome screen, which looks like this:
From here, you will be able to draft your encrypted email and send it to whomever you choose — the recipient doesn't even have to be a ShareFile user.
How to send an encrypted email
The ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook allows you to send files directly from Microsoft Outlook email messages. The ShareFile Plugin now offers the ability to encrypt your email message, providing users with industry standard encryption that ensures your message and files are sent securely.
Before you can use the ShareFile encrypted email feature, you should install the ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook. To do this:
1. Click Apps in the top navigation bar.
2. Locate Outlook Plugin in the applications list and click Download.
3. When the download is complete, make sure you exit out of Microsoft Outlook. Then run the installation file.
4. Choose a default or customized installation. By default, the ShareFile Plugin includes an auto update service. If you do not want the plugin to automatically update when a new version is available, choose Customized Settings.
5. Click Next.
6. Accept the License Agreement to complete the installation of the plugin.
7. Open Microsoft Outlook.
8. You will be prompted to enter the email address, subdomain and password of the ShareFile account you wish to link.
Once ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook installation is complete, you can begin sending encrypted emails. The following video will walk you through this process.
1. Compose a new Outlook message as you normally would (you can encrypt your message before or after you finish composing your email).
2. Select Attach Files to attach files from your PC or ShareFile account.
3. Click Encryption. Your message is encrypted when the lock icon is closed and your Send command changes to Send Secure.
5. Click Send Secure to send your encrypted email.
That's it — you have successfully sent an encrypted email message!
Introduction to ShareFile
Sending an encrypted email isn't all you can do with your ShareFile account. The following video offers a brief description of other features and benefits that ShareFile can bring to your business.
"Your company is on the move, and so are your employees. A mobile workforce means higher productivity, but it can also add higher risk — risk of lost or stolen data, risk of IP loss, risk of noncompliance. Seventy percent of organizations know or suspect their employees are using personal file-sharing accounts. Accounts that have been repeatedly compromised without IT approval. Are yours?
"Unless you're securing, tracking and managing shared data with an enterprise-grade file sync and sharing solution, your proprietary business assets are in peril. A breach could mean your company's name all over the headlines — not a good thing. What is a good thing? ShareFile.
"ShareFile is here to help your workers easily share, sync and store large files from any device, anywhere, so they can be productive while on the go. And you can track and manage everything safely and securely. ShareFile has the security, visibility and access you need. All data is fully encrypted in transit, while editing and at rest. Even large videos, medical images, construction plans, sales contracts and legal paperwork. That's security.
"You also have visibility and access, even when workers leave the company. So you can track account activity, remotely lock, wipe or encrypt data or proactively set expiration dates. Best of all, content migration is not needed. You can mobilize data in its original location without having to move it to the cloud. Store data in the cloud, on premises or a mix of both.
"For complete mobility protection, ShareFile is the only solution optimized for virtual desktop environments through its seamless integration with XenDesktop and XenApp. ShareFile is an integral part of XenMobile, the end-to-end enterprise mobility management solution that only Citrix can deliver.
"ShareFile's integration with XenMobile's email client means people don't have to attach or send large files. You can save storage costs, your employees save time and best of all, they're going to love it! It is time to empower your mobile workforce and lower the risk of lost or stolen business information with ShareFile."
With your ShareFile free trial, you are able to store up to 10 GB of data. To upload files from your computer to your ShareFile account, watch the following video or read through the list of step-by-step instructions.
"Once you have activated your ShareFile account and signed in, click Create Folder and give it a user-friendly name. Once you have named your folder, click the green Create Folder. If you're in a hurry, you can drag and drop the file directly into the web application. Simply navigate to the folder, and drag your file directly into the designated area. Your file will be automatically uploaded.
"If you don't want to drag and drop your file, click Upload Files. Depending on your web browser and your account settings, you will see one of ShareFile's uploaders. Click Browse Files to locate the file on your computer and select it for upload. Don't forget, you can upload multiple files at once by clicking Add More.
"A few things to note: If you do not see an upload button, you may not have upload permissions on the folder. In that case, contact an admin user on the account or folder to see if they can give you permission to upload files. Also, upload times may vary, depending on the speed of your Internet connection."
By adding RightSignature to your ShareFile account, you, your colleagues and clients will be able to electronically sign documents quickly and securely from anywhere. Other features and benefits of ShareFile + RightSignature include:
- Password-protected login and tamperproof audit log
- Alerts — admin users can request alerts each time a signer as received, read or signed a document
- Archiving ability
- Reusable templates
How to send a file for signature
Share, store and sign all of your important documents securely with the new ShareFile + RightSignature integration. Obtain legally binding e-signatures on contracts, forms, HR paperwork or any other important document in minutes with bank-level security. Here's how:
1. To send a document from within ShareFile, select any document and hover your mouse over the document options menu. Then select Get Signature.
2. You will then be taken to the RightSignature Send a Document screen with your document already preloaded.
3. Choose one or more document recipients and add a short message.
4. Click Next Step.
5. Drag and drop text fields and signature locations onto the document to indicate where recipients need to fill out and sign. When you are finished, click Send.
6. Each document recipient will receive an email with a unique link to find your document. After they click the link, your document will load in their browser. They can fill it out, sign and choose Submit.
As soon as your document is complete, the executed version is returned to your RightSignature account automatically. You can also check the signing status and access the signed document in your ShareFile account. Instead of taking hours or days, ShareFile + RightSignature get your important documents signed in minutes. Use ShareFile + RightSignature to power your paperless office.
Upon creation of your ShareFile account, a ShareFile graphics team will brand your account with your company's logo and colors to match the look and feel of your existing website. However, you can change the branding on your ShareFile account yourself. To do so:
1. Click Admin located in the top ShareFile navigation bar.
2. Click Edit Custom Branding.
3. From here, you can change the page title, logo, header background color and accent color. You can also revert back to the default branding by clicking Use ShareFile Defaults.
For more advanced options, click Advanced Appearance Options. Here you can view and make changes to browser options, header options, page options, login page options and email options. Click on the sections you would like to view or edit.
We hope this article was helpful to you. If you still have questions, we are available 24/7 to assist you. Contact us by phone at 1-800-441-3453 or use email or live chat. You can also read through some of these related articles: