Document sharing has never been viewed with such acclaim. The Internet has made it possible to share documents easier, faster and more affordable than ever before. Millions of professionals from all industries are using Citrix ShareFile to send documents to colleagues and clients. ShareFile is a cloud-based software solution with several key components designed to save you time and money while boosting performance.
Improved file sharing
In a business world that seems to evolve faster by the day, security concerns have reached an all-time high. And a digital landscape has responded by growing more remote all the time, making the creation of a document-sharing platform such as ShareFile inevitable.
Using ShareFile allows you to:
1. Share documents from anywhere. Use a laptop, a home Mac or PC or tablet to access, send or receive files. You can even do it right from your smartphone. ShareFile sets you free from the ball-and-chain of your cubicle desk. Some of our mobile apps include:
- PDF editor
- ShareFile for Android tablets and smartphones
- ShareFile for iPad and iPhone
- ShareFile for Windows phone
- ShareFile for Blackberry devices
2. Send and open large documents with ease. Files of up to 100 GB in size can be instantly and easily sent from one user to another. ShareFile operates well outside the file size limitations imposed by email systems.
3. Store as many files as you wish. Our unlimited storage on the cloud means you'll be able to archive data without needing backups on discs or servers. Additionally, files can be easily located through a keyword search. You can share them as needed instantly.
4. Find a document-sharing solution specific to your industry. At ShareFile, we understand that different businesses have different document-sharing needs. Our business file-sharing software was designed to meet the needs of businesses across multiple verticals.
An article published by Forbes notes that "In the file synchronization and sharing space, one vendor who gets little attention yet has pretty significant market penetration is ShareFile. The product, acquired by Citrix back in 2011, is quietly amassing some impressive customer stories across a number of different verticals."
Some of these verticals include:
- Real Estate
5. Feel secure when sharing documents. Security is a growing concern for all businesses, especially those who regularly share files between colleagues and clients. In fact, a recent survey found that 90 percent of businesses have had a security incident, and 46 percent have lost sensitive data as a result of an internal or external security threat.
The consequences of a security breach can be severe and can include damage to a company's reputation, loss of access to critical information and loss of the ability to trade. Recovering from a security breach can cost enterprises over $550,000 and small businesses almost $40,000.
According to an article from Kaspersky Lab, "Almost all businesses, regardless of their size, have to invite external experts to recover from a security breach. But these expenses are quite low in comparison with losses from downtime and the lost business opportunities caused by an attack. Not all security breaches lead to downtime, but if this does occur (in about a third of incidents it does), it becomes the most expensive consequence of an attack: up to 1.4 million USD for large businesses."
ShareFile helps to keep your documents safe through:
- High-level data encryption — Data encryption helps prevent your confidential information from falling into the wrong hands. ShareFile uses AES 256-bit encryption, the same encryption standard used by the U.S. government for classified files. Additionally, ShareFile maintains file encryption whether your data is at rest in our data servers or in transfer.
- Datacenter protection — The servers utilized by ShareFile are SSAE 16 audited and back up to multiple additional datacenters around the globe. According to the SSAE16 Resource Center, "SSAE 16 is an enhancement to the current standard for Reporting on Controls at a Service Organization, the SAS70. The changes made to the standard will bring your company, and the rest of the companies in the U.S., up to date with new international service organization reporting standards, the ISAE 3402. The adjustments made from SAS 70 to SSAE 16 will help you and your counterparts in the U.S. compete on an international level; allowing companies around the world to give you their business with complete confidence."
- Custom security settings — Chances are your company already has its own security process in place. The added security and support that ShareFile will bring to your business will help ensure that it is performing at its most productive, efficient and profitable level. Some of our custom security settings include file activity reports, remote wipe and download alerts.
6. Customize your client portal. Our branding team will brand your ShareFile account with your company's logo and colors to match the look of your website. The finished product will easily integrate into your operations, providing you and your team with a polished document sharing system to present to clients.
7. Sync with your desktop. This feature allows you to sync your ShareFile files to a folder on your computer desktop. Not only does this enable automatic data backups, it promotes productive and efficient work habits.
Getting your money's worth
Although the cloud's popularity has soared in recent years, only about half of American businesses are utilizing cloud-based storage. One reason more businesses are not using cloud-based document-sharing software is likely the issue of cost.
According to another article published by Forbes, there is more to think about when it comes to the cloud than cost alone. "The true value of cloud computing may very well go beyond the specific dollars and cents that are actually spent, but instead it seems to hit at the heart of innovation. And moreover, this potentially un-quantifiable value that innovation gives a company or organization. The ability to do things that were not possible before is a primary driver. When looking at the question from an empowerment point of view, the value proposition quickly changes from how much does it cost, to what value does it create?"
When it comes to creating value for businesses, the file-sharing software developed by ShareFile takes the cake. In another Forbes article, the author has this to say: "I’m pretty bullish on ShareFile if for no other reason than in a world where storage is becoming commoditized, the value will be built by companies that add fabrics on top of storage. Add to that the fact that Citrix can parlay its existing relationship with enterprises into a conversation about ShareFile, and you have a fundamentally better dynamic than, for example, Box, who is going in cold and with only the file sharing offering."
ShareFile: features, plans and pricing
ShareFile offers several plans, which we will talk about in more detail a bit later. No matter which plan you choose, your business will benefit from the following features.
- Unlimited client accounts
- Multi-factor authentication
- Top grade encryption
- 24/7 customer support by phone or email
- Desktop widget for quick account access
- Custom branding
- Mobile apps
- Activity logs
- FTP (file transfer protocol)
Personal Plan — This includes all of the tools to get your small business started. Along with the features listed above, the personal plan includes one employee account and a maximum file size and storage of 100 GB.
Team Plan — The next step up, our team plan is perfect for growing businesses that need full file-sharing functionality and generous storage. Along with the features listed above, our team plan includes five employee accounts and a maximum of 1 TB storage.
Business Plan — Our most popular plan, the business plan promotes maximum collaboration and complete data management for enterprise and small business customers. Together with the features listed above, our business plan includes:
- Five employee accounts
- Unlimited storage
- Encrypted email
- Device security
- File check-in/check-out
- Folder Q&A
- Folder templates
- Folder invitations
- File drop
Virtual Data Room — This plan allows for advanced security and tracking for complex deals and confidential information. It includes all of the features of our business plan (except encrypted email and file check-in/check-out) as well as:
- Dynamic watermarking — According to Tech Target, "Digital watermarking is the process of adding identifying data — such as a sequence of characters or code — to digital content such as text, images, files music and software programs." The article goes on to say, "A watermark is typically used to identify either the originator or authorized user, state usage rights, verify the authenticity or integrity of the data, or control its use and distribution."
- Click trails — This allows account administrators to see all of the activity that has occurred within the Virtual Data Room from the time a user logs in to the time they log out.
- View only — The view only feature prevents users from downloading files to their computer. It is compatible with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDF.
In addition to catering to the unique needs of several businesses, the document sharing software of ShareFile is also affordable. Pricing details for each plan are listed below.
Personal Plan: $16 per month if billed annually; $20 per month if billed monthly
Team Plan: $60 per month if billed annually; $75 per month if billed monthly; $10 per additional account
Business Plan: $100 per month billed annually; $12 per additional account
Virtual Data Room: Starting at $295 per month if billed annually; $395 per month if billed monthly
Ready to use ShareFile for all of your file-sharing needs? You can sign up for a free no-obligation 30-day trial and begin sharing documents in minutes! Here are some videos and step-by-step instructions to help you get started.
How to upload a file
ShareFile makes uploading files simple and secure. Once you activate your account and sign in for the first time, you can begin storing files. Watch the video above or follow these quick steps.
1. Click Create folder.
2. Name the folder. Don't worry about adding users yet. You can come back to that later.
3. Drag your file to the designated area labeled Drag and drop files here. Your file will automatically upload.
You can also upload files by clicking Upload files in the upper right corner of your screen. Once you choose the Upload files button, click Browse files to locate the file on your computer and select Upload. You can upload multiple files at once by choosing the Add more option.
A few things to know:
- If you do not see an upload button, you may not have permissions on the folder. In this case, contact an admin user on the account to request access.
- Upload times may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection.
- You may have to update your Java plugin before you are able to upload files.
How to share a file
Once you have activated your account and uploaded files to your ShareFile account, you are ready to begin sharing them. Here's how.
- Find the file in your ShareFile account and right-click it. You can choose to share multiple files at once by checking the checkboxes to the left of the files you would like to share.
- Decide whether you would like to share the file through your ShareFile email system or by generating a secure link. Click the option you would like.
If you choose to send the file through the ShareFile email system:
- Type the recipient's email address in the address bar (the recipient does not have to be a ShareFile user).
- Include a subject and message for your recipient in the areas provided and press Send.
If you choose to send the file through a secure link:
- Click Get a link.
- Paste the link into an email, document or chat application.
You can learn more about getting started with ShareFile by visiting our video library or by contacting us anytime at 1-800-441-3453. We can't wait for you to see how file-sharing software from ShareFile can help improve your business!