Document management can be a tedious affair. There are few things more boring than sorting through and organizing a large stack of documents. The same goes for files and folders on your computer. Both inspire thoughts of how much you’d rather be sleeping in your bed, relaxing on a beach or doing anything else but this tedious task.
You’d think switching from a paper-based workflow to an electronic one would improve the consistency of keeping documents organized for your business. Instead, many people are discovering that these efforts can be an electronic version of document management torture.
Depending on how organized your staff is, documents can still fall through the cracks and get lost among the multitude of files cluttering each desktop and hard drive. That’s why a document management system (DMS) is often necessary.
What is a document management system?
According to AIIM (Association for Information and Image Management):
"Document management, often referred to as Document Management Systems (DMS), is the use of a computer system and software to store, manage and track electronic documents and electronic images of paper based information captured through the use of a document scanner."
Today, document management systems come in all sizes and scopes, from "standalone systems to large scale enterprise-wide configurations serving a global audience." Many document management systems are incorporated physical document filing practices, and include features like:
- Version control
- Storage location
- Security and access control
- Audit trails
- Check-in/check-out and document lockdown
Save time and money with a DMS
Managing documents is a task that eats up time you could have spent being productive for that major upcoming project. Implementing a DMS alleviates the pressure to balance that organization with your workload.
It’s also more cost-effective for your business because it eliminates paper waste. If you make a mistake in an electronic document, you can go back and edit it later at no cost, whereas paper document edits require reprinting, meaning additional ink and paper expenses.
Easy document management with Citrix ShareFile
When you need effective team document management, turn to ShareFile. Our software syncs your files to help ensure everyone with access to the data works with the most accurate, updated version of the information. With ShareFile, you can:
Simplify communication between team members. Use the ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook, so you can easily encrypt messages and convert attachments to secure ShareFile links.
Streamline your process of creating and signing files. With ShareFile + RightSignature, your clients can electronically fill out and sign documents. Once completed, the documents are automatically saved back in the ShareFile folder where they were created.
Manage your data for more efficient collaboration. With ShareFile you can keep your team accountable and protect your documents by setting permissions, assigning access and enabling notifications.
ShareFile keeps document management simple and effective with cloud-based services for file sharing, syncing and storage. Besides being more environmentally-friendly than paper-based methods, the benefits of utilizing our DMS include:
- Flexible access: Whether you’re in the office or mobile, you can access your files and folders from any network-connected mobile device or desktop with Internet capability.
- Consistent organization: You have total control over files and folders with our multi-level access settings. Our system seamlessly integrates with your daily workflow, so you can easily find information from one centralized source.
- Offsite backups: With cloud storage, your data is stored in a protected offsite location, meaning you don’t have to worry in case of an unexpected system failure at your office. That offsite storage will quickly enable you to get back up and running.
- Lots of storage: Our four levels of file management plans include storage options that range from 100 GB to unlimited.
- Easy sharing and syncing: Easily upload and share files up to 10 GB in size.
- Enhanced security: All pf our plans come with firewalls, virus scanners and industry-standard (AES 256-bit) encryption protocol to protect your data from external and internal threats. Other advanced security features we offer include share link expirations, tracking and logging for all file activity, and a remote wipe tool in case a device is lost or stolen.
The overall benefits of an electronic DMS easily outweigh previous paper-based systems, but is the digital system secure? Is it easily accessible? Does it offer unlimited storage space? The effectiveness of your DMS is only as good as its structure and security.
Increase your productivity today with easy-to-use cloud solutions from ShareFile. Contact us to get started with your free trial.