Data storage devices have come a long way in a short amount of time—from floppy discs and zip drives to cloud-based storage. Surprisingly, however, only one third of businesses currently use a cloud-based data storage system to store, share, and backup files. This article will examine some of the biggest challenges of sticking to outdated data storage devices and how cloud-based technology is improving the way people do business all over the world.
The convenience of data storage devices is also their own demise—they’re small and easy to carry, which also makes them easy to lose and forget. And to make matters worse, many flash drives lack any kind of password protection or security, meaning anyone who finds one can plug it right in and access your files.
7 Reasons to Choose the Cloud
In an article published by Business News Daily, Robyn Tippins, co-founder of a reputable marketing agency, stated: "We use an inexpensive cloud storage provider to ensure everyone has the most up-to-date version of working docs, like client proposals, training documents, SOWs and
contracts," Tippins said. "It helps us manage our workflow, onboard new consultants and
new clients, and makes it possible to be a small team, despite the large geographic area we span."
Just as flash drives took the place of disks, cloud-based data storage companies like Citrix ShareFile are replacing flash drives. Below are 7 reasons why businesses should choose cloud-based storage solutions over other data storage devices.
1. There’s nothing to plug in. When you’re ready to upload a file to store, simply click the mouse a few times and you’re all set.
2. There's nothing to carry around. You never have to worry about misplacing or damaging your files, because they are kept safe in the cloud.
3. You have security not afforded by flash drives. ShareFile is serious about security, which is why our software offers password protection, multiple backups to secure datacenters, and AES 256-bit encryption to keep your data safe.
4. You’ll have increased access to your stored data. Tap into your files from a Mac or PC, laptop, tablet or even a smartphone. This enables you to work from anywhere.
5. You’ll enjoy easier data transfer. There’s no need to pass off a device into a different set of hands. Your selected recipients can simply access the stored files from wherever they are.
6. You can store more data. Unlike a flash drive, you can store an unlimited number of files with ShareFile and keep them as long as you wish.
7. There’s bigger sharing potential. You can upload 100 GB of data at a time with ShareFile, make changes that will update across all users, and even track who made changes to a particular document at anytime.
How much will it cost?
Cost is among the top concerns of businesses looking to replace their manual data storage devices with a cloud-based system. Although many business owners fear that investing in a cloud-based storage solution will automatically mean more cost to them, this is not always true. In fact, investing in cloud solutions for your business can save you significant money in the long run.
An article published by Forbes states, "So is cloud computing really cheaper? The answer really does come down to how closely you are able to manage, track and adjust your infrastructure. If you’re taking a blind approach to just throwing your apps in the cloud without any kind of tracking or accountability than the answer is mostly likely no. If you take the time to clearly analyze your IT objectives, do the comparisons, the cloud is certainly cheaper."
ShareFile understands that no company will be successful with a one-size-fits-all cloud storage system, which is why we have several plans to choose from, including:
- Personal Plan - $16 per month, one employee account, 100 GB storage
- Team Plan - $60 per month, five employee accounts, 1 TB storage
- Business Plan - $100 per month, five employee accounts, unlimited storage
- Virtual Data Room - $295 per month, five employee accounts, 5 GB storage, includes dynamic watermarking, view-only, and click trail features
Sign Up For a Free Trial
Does the thought of committing to a cloud-based data storage solution still make you nervous? It's ok—you can try out ShareFile before you buy!
Sign up for a free, no obligation 30-day trial today!