If you have a PC that runs Windows, the ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook allows you to send large files and request files directly from Microsoft Outlook. Encrypted email allows you to encrypt the body of your message, along with any attachments, with industry-leading AES 256-bit encryption. Put these two together, and you have a simple and fast way to send encrypted email messages right from your desktop!
Below we have a step-by-step way for you to enable Encrypted Email and the ShareFile Plugin for Microsoft Outlook installed so you can start sending secure files faster and still be in compliance with your industry regulations and ethical guidelines.
If you have a Mac, you can still enable encrypted email and send messages securely through your ShareFile account. You’ll just skip the Plugin for Outlook steps here.
Enabling Encrypted Email
1. Log in to your ShareFile account from any web browser, and then click Admin in the top Navigation bar.
2. On left hand side, select Advanced Preferences.
3. Expand E-Mail and Notifications.
4. Under Enable Encrypted Email, click Yes and then Save.
Now that you have enabled encrypted email for your account, let’s move on to installing the Plugin for Microsoft Outlook.
1. Click Apps in the top Navigation bar of your ShareFile account.
2. Find the Plugin for Outlook and click Download.
3. Click Run in the pop-up window that appears on your screen.
4. The ShareFile Plugin for Outlook window will appear on your desktop. You have two options for installing:
- a. Default settings (Recommended): ShareFile will automatically update your plugin when a new version is available.
- b. Customize settings: ShareFile will not automatically update your plugin when a new version is available.
Once you have selected your setting, click Next.
5. Accept the license agreement, and click Next.
6. Once the installation is complete, click Done.
7. Open Microsoft Outlook. Once Outlook is open, enter your ShareFile email and password, and click Sign In.
8. To verify Encrypted Email and the Outlook Plugin are installed properly, create a new email message. In the new email message, you should see Encryption on the left and ShareFile attach files and request files on the right.
9. To configure your settings for the Encrypted Email and the plugin, click ShareFile Plugin Options.
Download the Outlook Plugin here.
For further reading on Encrypted Email, click here.
Ready to start securely sharing with ShareFile? Start your 30-day free trial.