The Sounds of Monty Python
The comedy group known as Monty Python’s Flying Circus began in 1969 when John Cleese, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam and Graham Chapman began working on a BBC television series. The series was called Monty Python’s Flying Circus and was on the air until 1974. The series gave viewers a look at the comedic genius of the comedy troupe , with its zany brand of humor in skits and music.
During the course of the series , several memorable sketches, sayings and songs were broadcast. Among them were:
· The Monty Python’s Flying Circus Theme Song – This song was played during the animated opening credits of the television series.
· Various sound files – This resource contains various sound files from the series and the later Monty Python movies in a .WAV format.
· Python songs – A wide selection of songs from the series and Monty Python movies are available from this resource.
· Audio and video files – From the Monty Python’s Completely Useless page comes a selection of audio and video files, along with select scripts.
· Video archives – The official Monty Python page has a selection of famous videos of some of the more memorable skits during the series.
· British Film Institute – The BFI has a Monty Python collection of video clips.
After the conclusion of the television series, the troupe began working on a series of movies that continued to build on the style of the television show. However, they were able to take the comedy to another level without concerns of television sensors. The movie series began with And Now for Something Completely Different in 1971. It was followed by four other films; Monty Python and the Holy Grail in 1975; Monty Python’s Life of Brian in 1979; Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl in 1982 and Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life in 1983.
Like the comedy series before it, the movies also had several memorable songs and dialog. Among the more memorable were:
· Monty Python and the Holy Grail Sound Clips – This resource contains movie dialog sound clips in .WAV format.
· Movie Wav files – Select files from Monty Python and the Holy Grail in .WAV and MP3 formats.
· Life of Brian Movie Sounds – Dialog from the 1979 movie.
· Life of Brian Fansite – Pictures and sound files from the Monty Python’s Life of Brian movie.
· Meaning of Life Sound Files – Selected files from the Monty Python’s Meaning of Life movie.
· Movie Dialog – Sound clips from a Meaning of Life resource.
Years later, the Monty Python legacy lives on with re-runs of the series and movies shown on a regular basis. Plus in 2005, Eric Idle wrote Spamalot, which began as a Broadway hit, and is also touring worldwide. Spamalot is based on many of the Monty Python sketches.