Having the tools to work from anywhere is fantastic! I’m even working from home as I write this blog post. But now that we have the tools to work from anywhere and on any device, it’s more important than ever to keep those devices safe.
With the ability to carry around and access a lot of sensitive information, mobile devices have become invaluable to us. They have also become prime targets for hackers and thieves. According to a 2012 report from the Federal Communications Commission, cell phone thefts account for 30 to 40 percent of all robberies in major cities. If your devices are lost or damaged, you could be in big trouble.
Here are some tips to keep your mobile devices safe so you can work from anywhere:
1. Don’t leave your device alone or unattended. Like your passport or your wallet, keep your devices hidden and close to your person.
2. Back up your data before you leave. If anything happens to your device, you can rest comfortably knowing all of your data is safe.
3. Lock your devices with a password — and make it a good one. All mobile devices come with a screen lock so be sure to enable it. Your password should be at least eight characters long and contain letters, numbers, and special characters.
4. Don’t share sensitive information on a public wi-fi network. Information shared on unencrypted public wi-fi networks may not be secure, which means anyone can access it.
5. Update your software with the latest version. Software updates often contain patches that correct any vulnerabilities in the software.
If you use Citrix ShareFile and your device is stolen, your account administrator can cut off access to your account. Enterprise and corporate account holders also can use our remote wipe feature to remove ShareFile data from lost devices.
For more information on how you can protect your data in the event of a lost or stolen device, please contact your Account Manager.